Thursday, February 28, 2008

Class 7 Readings

Critical Issue:
Technology: A Catalyst for Teaching and Learning in the Classroom

The question of how to successfully implement a technology plan in a school is very much a current and central issue in schools today. How do you keep teachers trained, and provide the necessary support for the technology and training. I liked a lot of the debate over whether or not technology is good in schools. Given that students think so, and that they are users combined with research, yes, we need to have schools that use and move with technology.

I go back and forth with this one. I agree with the idea of using technology, but I see too much emphasis on formal operational tasks over concrete ones. Students will make the leap if we do a good job with basic skills and concrete activities. I think that technology is the greatest tool to these ends. Part of the solution is accepting technology into the culture of our schools. I think that in time, especially with young teachers entering the field, schools will inevitable move in step with technology. Technology will become a natural part of the educational landscape.

No comments: